Hand Held Pesticide Application (Knapsack) 5N0731
Duration: 2 days
Accreditation Body/Award: QQI Award Level 5
The purpose of this award is to equip the learner with the knowledge, skill and competence to apply crop pesticides using a handheld applicator in accordance with recommended safe.
Learners will be able to
1. Describe how infestations of pests (weeds, diseases, insects and vertebrates) affect crop growth and reduce quality.
2. Describe the range of pest control methods available to farmers and growers.
3. Explain the terminology used to categorise pesticides for crop production, the factors affecting pesticide efficiency and the factors to be considered when selecting a formulation.
4. Describe principles and procedures for the safe handling, storage, application and disposal of pesticides including appropriate personal protective equipment.
5. Summarise laws and regulations relating to poisonous substances to include pesticide residues and maintenance of adequate records.
6. Explain the principles of application technology necessary for the proper application of pesticides in respect of applicator components, calibration, maintenance, field operating procedures and precautions.
7. Interpret pesticide label information including precautionary symbols, product name, class designation, registration number, purpose, precautions, first aid instruction, toxicology information, disposal, notice to user, material safety data sheets (MSDS) and directions for use.
8. Prepare a hand-held applicator for work, including calibration, in accordance with good practice and manufacturer’s instructions.
9. Make up a pesticide spray mix in accordance with good practice including the pesticide product label dosage recommendations and the application area.
10. Store a hand held applicator and personal protective equipment in a safe and efficient manner according to manufacturer’s instructions.
11. Apply a pesticide mix with a hand-held applicator in accordance with recommended good practice.
Skills Demonstration - 60% (40% must be achieved in skills demo to pass)
Examination (Theory) - 40%
Credit value - 5
Entry Requirements: Candidates must be over 16 years of age and have a proficient level of literacy and numeracy
Training Materials: All learning material will be provided to you for the duration of the course and you will be registered for certification though our centre. Participants must bring masks, overalls, gloves, safety boots and hi vis jacket - for day 2 only
Certification: Successful applicants will receive a QQI level 5 certificate in Handheld Pesticide Application. Successful completion of this component award enables the learner to
transfer to programmes leading to other certificates where this component is a mandatory or an elective requirement.
Below you will find all dates and locations that this course is running.